Dublin The Global City

Dublin’s Different Cultural Areas

By Louisa McGrath

Dublin is a very diverse city with a mixture of cultures from all over the world.  Near the city centre there are a number of streets belonging to certain nationalities.

The Millenium Walkway

The Millenium Walkway is unlike any other place in Dublin.  This small, grey stone lane way is full of Italian restaurants, cafés and a wine bar.  Matteo De Marzio, the manager of Bar Italia, said:

“30% of my customers are Italian and the other 70% are Irish and other nationalities.  This area is very nice.  It is nice to have somewhere Italian, it is like an embassy.  When you come here it is like walking into another country.  We all know each other.  We have lots in common and we speak Italian with each other.  The people who come here really like it too.”

As well as Italian businesses there is also a large impression of Leonardo Da Vinci’s painting The Last Supper featured on the wall.  It is full of people even at half past three on a Monday.  You can see Italian people sitting outside, sipping on coffee, as well as many Irish people.

Chinatown

Another street which belongs to a nationality is Parnell Street.  Here is the Chinese quarter of Dublin.  There are an uncountable number of Chinese restaurants and food stores here, as well as an Asian spa.  The other shops are anonymous to the Irish as the signs are written in only Chinese.  When asked for their opinions on the area all those asked said they did not speak English.

Five minutes away from Parnell Street is Moore Street, which is located just off one of Ireland’s biggest shopping streets.  This appears to be the most multicultural street in Dublin city as there is a mix of Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Thai, Afro Carribean, African, German and French stores and ‘restaraunts’.

Joyce Walsh, an Irish fruit seller on the street, said: 

“There is a mixture of different cultures here.  A lot of our customers are from other countries.  We sell Chinese apples and Chinese pears to cater to them, we also sell butternut squash for Africans, and ginger too because they use it a lot more than Irish people.”

The irony of this multicultural street lies in the fact that here is one of the most Irish places in Dublin.  The leaders of the 1916 Rising, the most iconic rebellion in Irish history, surrendered in a building on this street.  This building, which is unknown to many Irish people, is now closed off and dilapidated but is commemorated by a small plaque on the wall.

Commemorative 1916 Plaque on Moore Street



Advertisements

One response to this post.

  1. […] Dublin The Global City […]

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: